Lemonade Turned Sour

Anayah Patton, Student Journalist

Beyoncé’s new album, Lemonade, released on April 23, 2016 showed a personal, sensitive and heart-breaking side to the well-put-together artist of the century. This side of Beyoncé has never really been seen by her fan base, the BeyHive, since she is so cautious about her personal life. In releasing this album, the Queen Bey has definitely showed how she is on another level of her career and that she is more relatable to her fans. Her entire album is about the awkward stages of grief involved after the infidelity of a significant other. Rather than a figure of perfection, she is a figure of “yes I have had my ups and downs, accept my flaws” type, but her value as an artist will forever be cherished.

Many people didn’t know about her troubles at home until the release of Lemonade, but there were subliminal hints in the past that led to the events alluded to in this album. For example, in 2014, Solange attacked Jay-Z in the elevator while Beyoncé stood and watched. Now that this album has come out, the very explanation for that video is clear. Fans can tell that Beyoncé has had enough from every lyric in every song on the album. From the song, “Don’t Hurt Yourself,” she says “you know I give you life, if you do this **** again, you gonna lose your wife.” Thinking about this lyric alone is even more evidence to why she showed up to the Met Gala without Jay and with a very expensive dress representing that she has her own money and doesn’t need “him” anymore.

Beyoncé is known for being a very personal artist and the choice of her releasing such emotional and deep songs puzzles her BeyHive fans. Some people have a take on the album to be slander toward her husband and others see it as Beyoncé making a new by telling her personal story in order to write more relatable music for her fans. Junior, Sandra Hunt thinks that Lemonade as an album is groundbreaking. She loves the album which she expresses to her excitement from a feature of the well known rock artist Jack W. on the song “Don’t Hurt Yourself”. Junior, Maya Smith, thinks that it’s a great album, but finds it peculiar that the well known artist is coming out of her comfort zone in this point of her career. Also that it was a juicy album because of the seemed diss toward her husband.

The reason for everyone saying that the album brings so much slander toward her husband because she basically threw shade directly at him in almost every song. Even though she told the story of her husband’s infidelity, she shows the stages that she went through in order to deal with it and most of her BeyHive have already been following in her footsteps of forgiveness. The release of a video album made even more of an impact because of the imagery she used, every scene that appeared on HBO grabbed your attention and left you wondering about the meaning of these particular choices. There were also appearances from a bunch of celebrities in her HBO video/movie, for example, Zendaya and Serena Williams.

The real question is how are people in the same situation that listen to her music going to look up to her about what she did and whether or not it was the right thing to do. Most people would go off on their significant other if they found out they cheated on them and that is sort what Beyoncé did but will people follow in her footsteps. Will people follow her process of denial, hatred, and eventually leading to forgiveness, is she that influential on people’s decisions?