Beware the Deadlines! – How Seniors Can Stay on Task

Ebony Payne

Early Action and Early Decision deadlines are long gone, and for many seniors, Regular Decision dates are the final option for applications. Final application deadlines are quickly approaching in mid-to-late January, leaving only a few weeks for students who have not yet applied.

However, submitting those applications on time isn’t always so simple. For example, students still have to balance schoolwork and extracurricular activities – slacking in one area might negatively affect the admissions process in the future. Colleges won’t extend deadlines for busy students, either, which leaves seniors with no choice but to handle both.

One way to maintain this balance, according to Ms. Moseley, is for seniors to “write everything down” and “categorize their time.” Setting aside a certain amount of time for each task prevents students from spending too much time on less important activities. This sort of organization may be easier said than done, but it does help.

In addition, she encourages seniors to make a list of their colleges, separate the reach schools from the realistic and safety schools, and get everything done “as soon as possible.” The sooner they notify her of the deadlines, the sooner she can arrange the necessary materials for them.

While staying organized is important, it’s even more important for students to be aware of and avoid common mistakes, such as procrastination, which seems to be a common trend.

“I procrastinate A LOT,” commented Natasha Solano, who has already finished her applications, “I left the essay for last and when it came time to write it I put if off for another two weeks.”

For Natasha, her method of solving this problem was to complete most of her applications over the summer. As a result, the only leftover work was Ms. Moseley’s part. It certainly paid off – Natasha has already been accepted into St. Peter’s University, her top choice.

Ugochukwu Ukponu, who is still in the process of applying to schools, reports similar issues. “I say I’m going to finish the essay that day, but it doesn’t get done until a week later,” she said. Ugo takes everything in strides by trying to manage her time and tackle the applications “with the closest deadlines” first.

Both seniors offer advice to their fellow classmates, urging them to avoid procrastination and start as early as possible to have enough time.